Monday, August 2, 2010

Mid-terms House Fire Exercise (What to do instead of studying)!





Mid-terms House Fire Exercise in Dasma!


Mid-terms are coming up. Succession first, then Banking Law, Maybe Labor Law, Taxation 2, then Insurance Law and finally Torts and Damages.

I had my block-mates over for a little study group saturday night when I was called away by my mom to accompany her to a fire nearby. She, being the local village chairman, had to make sure people were safe and taken care of. Being my only parent left, and her usual assistant, I had to leave my 5 friends and rush to the next street (literally just a few houses away) to a fire.

It was a bit before 12 midnight when I left and I got back around 4am. Two of my friends had already left and the other three were just waiting for me to get back. Well there goes my Succession, but at least, I survived, so I won’t be intestate (without a will).

Attached are a few pictures from the Village fire. It burned blue in some parts so I know it had to be hot. We had our Dasma truck present, but it was luckily accompanied by the Makati firetrucks and volunteer groups from all over the Metro. From Sucat to Quezon City, there were so many fire trucks that the whole street was blocked off from one corner to another. The opposite street (our street) was also blocked off so they could get to the fire from the back.

We had to witness a few turnovers of cash. The chinese volunteer fire fighters approached my mom right away as chair to tell her that they saw a safe and bags of cash, about a sack full, in the closet of the room they were clearing, so they had to back off lest they be blamed for stealing anything.

The owners and everyone staying were safe. Good thing though since they were all Senior Citizens left in the house. I ended up accompanying some of the fighters into the house to check. Now I know how it may feel to get the noxious fire smoke into your lungs. I can imagine just passing out and dying from the flame. Aside from the fire, the most exciting part of the night happened when an LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) container exploded and caused part of a roof to collapse. It sounded like a grenade.

When I got back home it was pretty late. We waited for the poor residents to be settled at a neighbor’s place and most of the fire fighters to leave. Mom then assigned a few tanods to watch over the place to make sure no one tried ransacking because they still had some valuables inside in a few safes.

It was a pretty exciting weekend. I can only hope it doesn’t affect my mid-terms.







No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis