Saturday, October 3, 2009

Spreading Fear




I Feel bad for the many victims of typhoon Ondoy but it irks me to see squatters taking advantage of relief operations by pretending to be affected by the floods and lining up repeatedly to get food from the relief centers and storing the food for their personal consumption.

I know they are desperate for food, but once they get one, they should learn to just hold back and let those who have less than they do get something. bleh selfish (I'm no saint either but I've got a trigger conscience that will pop up).

I also find it amusing how people panic and start sending messages through twitter and facebook without thinking about what they are posting. Floodgates opening at the Marikina Dam? there is no Marikina Dam! Pepeng will be stronger than typhoon katrina?!? what was their basis? I'm sure they had good intentions and its better people are conscious and active, but where do we draw the line between sharing information for the people's benefit and just feeding the fear?

One cool thing I've learned is that the US Military weather forecasts are way more accurate than our own PAGASA. Not to blame PAGASA's people, they do the best they can, but they are limited by the equipment our poor government affords them. The US Military weather forecasts on the other hand are so spot on, and I'm sure they would be given that they are made to protect billion dollar war ships out in the sea, that if you read their reports, you will be certain to a high degree that it will happen.

When I got my gut feel that this typhoon Pepeng would not hit and fizzle, I looked up the US weather tracker called the Joint Weather Tracking Center found here

Check out the JWTC by clicking here.

I guess until the next tragedy, we can pray that we will be more prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis