Saturday, April 19, 2014

Ateneo Art Auction Simula 2008 Ma Filomena Legaspi Rosales Project Chair




My mom has always been the type who could not stick to doing just one thing. She had to do many things at the same time for the family and for the community. It was her character and it was her passion.  She always had to be busy with work. Aside from being a business woman, she always had to have at least one of her projects be for the community or charity work.

I remember when she was an active member of the Ateneo Alumni Association (AAA) of the Ateneo de Manila University. I wasn't even an alumnus yet, but I was often assigned to do errands for the alumni office because of her activities.

One of the projects she started was the Ateneo Art Auction. She was the project chair. The first of its kind, she started it to raise funds for Ateneo Gawad Kalinga projects. I remember having to pick up paintings, take pictures of them, arrange them and drop them off after. Mom was under a lot of pressure for this project because she was the chair. I'm proud to hear that they are on their 6th or 7th year now, still raising funds for Ateneo. Good job mom. Charity work that continues to give long after.

I remember this project the most because of a large print copy of a painting by Anita Magsaysay-Ho that I had stuck to the side of my mini-fridge at home. I kept it after the AAA discarded it. Mom had a copy made because the AAA committee wasn't sure if they would display the original during the auction for security reasons. For years I would stare at the copy while I got a coke from the fridge. Apparently the original painting is worth millions.

Credit to my friend Martino "Ton" Benitez for some of the photos

"Simula": The start of the Ateneo Art Auction, a project chaired by Ma Filomena "Nena" Legaspi Rosales


The first auction was held at the old Serendra 2 display. Its on that road that is now closed off (well kinda) that heads to SM Aura, near the American Memorial

Father Joaquin Bernas at the Ateneo Art Auction




up for bid do I hear...


Mom smiles at the Ateneo Art Auction





The mess of paintings at our place before we brought them to Serendra

The Anita Magsaysay-Ho painting that was on the mini-fridge in my room for years after. I always had to thank her for the coke.




I think these were kids from the Gawad Kalinga project that benefitted from the first Ateneo Art Auction







Good Job Mom! Ma Filomena "Nena" Legaspi Rosales smiles yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis